Newborn Hire Frequently Asked Questions
The newborn period is the perfect time to start cloth.
- Save money straight away
- Get into a good routine and never look back!
- Newborns poop a lot... usually just after a nappy change! Cloth means you can change your baby as much as needed with no guilt of the nappy heading to the landfill
- Newborn cloth nappies are the absolute cutest thing ever
If your baby is under 5kg you are best to start with a newborn hire pack as OSFM nappies will be too big.
If your baby is over 5kg, it will be best to start with an Infant and Toddler Hire Pack which are designed as a trial to test out the OSFM (One size fits most) nappies which will last most children till around 2 years old or 15kg.
In our experience the majority of newborns will not fit most OSFM nappies from birth. They will be very bulky and likely result in leaks and a negative experience with cloth nappies. Newborn specific nappies are made for newborn babies.
- Newborn nappies will only fit for 8-12 weeks for most babies, so to purchase them is a big investment. But hiring you can save your money for buying OSFM nappies which will last till toilet training for most children.
- Hiring helps you to know for sure what is going to work for you and your little one.
- With hiring there is no need to research what brand/style might suit you and your baby, you take away any risk of buyers regret, by trying them first.
- You also receive our intensive support to get your cloth nappy mojo flowing- personalised wash routine, detailed guide, email and phone support. You can then always purchase the ones you loved for a reduced price.
- All hire packs contain a recommended number and selection of cloth nappies that are suitable for newborns
- Packs contain everything else you need to cloth nappy like a boss from day one
- Our brands have been hand-picked as our all-time favourites that our customers love and that we have used personally. After your hire period you will know which are your favourites too.
- Sent with no single-use packaging
We highly recommend going for a full Newborn Hire Pack, unless you already have some newborn nappies and just need a small top-up. In our experience, cloth is a lot easier when you go all in! It's easier to wash a full load of nappies, than a half load, and you get into a routine easily. You also save way more money by not buying disposable nappies.
We recommend starting as soon as possible, its not much extra work, and its easy to get into a habit of throwing on a load of washing every second morning, clothes can be washed with the nappies once they have been through the prewash cycle, and you would be washing them anyway!
Some people like to use disposables until the Meconium has passed at around day 2-4, but feel free to use the cloth nappies with a fleece liner (Included in the packs) for the meconium and save on disposables straight away!
For these reasons we recommended you select the ‘From Birth’ option- Packs are sent around two weeks before your due date, and hire period only starts when your baby has been born.
If you select the ‘Two Week’ option, pack will be sent to start when baby is two weeks old, so hire will start when you receive the pack. Baby may grown out of some of the nappies sooner if you select this option, but we understand that some families like a few weeks to get to know their new baby, before getting to know their new nappies.
Our sanitised Hire Packs are in excellent condition- No stains, fading or damage, elastics still tight. There may be light wear to velcro and light piling to some nappies, but nothing that affects use. We will never hire out any nappies that we wouldn't use on our own baby. Sanitised nappies are ready to use straight away.
If you select brand new nappies, you will never receive a used nappy. The brand new nappies require a prep wash prior to use, we can do this for you for a small fee.
When the hire packs are returned we do a 4-6 hour deep cleaning mineral and detergent soak on anything with absorbency, followed by a 30 minute sanitise soak using dilute Sodium Hypochlorite which kills 99.99% of all bacteria, fungi, and viruses. The nappies are then washed at 60 degrees.
This method ensures 100% clean nappies that are safe for your baby. We then assess the nappies for their condition. If assessed as any less than excellent condition, they will be sold on via our TradeMe Store or donated to our charity partner Little Sprouts.
The nappies in the packs are designed to fit babies around 2.5-6kgs, with quite a few fitting up to 8kg. If you baby is born smaller than 3kg, or bigger than 4.5kg, we will send you a set of replacement swaps. Make your booking here.
Your baby may grow out of some of the smaller fitting nappies before the 10 weeks is up, that is normal, you have still gained the benefits of learning how to use cloth nappies and learning what you like and what you don’t. This can be a good time to start trying out some 'one-size-fits-most' nappies.
The idea of the hire is to spend a short amount of time trying all the styles before committing to purchasing, we will encourage and support you to continue trying all styles, utilising boosters and fit tips to have success.
We do have a mid hire nappy swap option, where you can swap out 6 of your least favourite with 6 of your favourites for a small cost.
We also have a OSFM add on pack where you can try out 3 OSFM nappies in the last few weeks of your hire.
The whole hire price and part of the bond will be refunded if you change your mind before the nappies are sent out. A portion of the bond ($20) will be retained by us for time, processing costs, decrease in value of the items, and loss of business. If you change your mind at any time after the nappies are sent out, $40 will be retained for time and processing costs, and you will also be charged $10 a week for each week you have had the hire pack. See full terms and conditions for details
Yes. Many babies will still fit the nappies at 10 weeks. You can book an extension here.
You can purchase any items from your newborn hire pack for a reduced price here.
No. But staining can be a symptom that your wash routine needs some tweaking, let us know and we can provide a personalised wash routine to sort it out.
Leaks happen! It’s a normal part of the process of learning about cloth nappies. The packages contain a selection of different styles, so all your eggs aren't in one basket. We also provide detailed, easy to understand instructions, and 7 day a week email/phone support. Contact us with any issues, we want to help!